Connect with us

Politics

Ekiti Governorship: APC Congratulates Kayode Fayemi On Primary Election Victory, Receive Primary Committee Report

Published

on

The National Chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Chief John Odigie-Oyegun on Monday congratulated Dr. Kayode Fayemi on his emergence as the Party’s candidate for the July 14 Ekiti Governorship Election following Dr. Fayemi’s victory at Saturday’s APC governorship Primary election.
Odigie-Oyegun also hailed the camaraderie displayed by other APC governorship aspirants after the result announcement of Saturday’s widely-hailed exercise.
The APC National Chairman spoke after receiving the Ekiti Primary Election committee report from the committee chairman, Governor of Nasarawa State, H.E. Umaru Tanko Al-Makura at the Party’s National Secretariat.
He said Dr. Fayemi was on a rescue mission to save the people of Ekiti from the abusive leadership the state has suffered in the last four years.
Speaking on Monday, Odigie-Oyegun said: “At the end of the first attempt (Primary Election), we were all low spirited. But by the time we finished the second go at it, we thought what you (committee) have done is something that will go down into our history as one of the most clinically-executed primaries.
“I want to praise the aspirants. Nerves were frayed at the very beginning but I noticed the camaraderie with which they embraced themselves at the end of the exercise. Each and everyone that has spoken publicly have expressed satisfaction with the transparency of the exercises, so I must congratulate the committee.
“It was sad that we had a false start but for me it was also fortuitous. I think it was God’s plan. Before the committee started its work, there was already that atmosphere of suspicion that the deck has been loaded against most of the aspirants. And they say in politics perception is very dangerous. It is that perception that propelled the overzealous agents to disrupt the exercise.”
Odigie-Oyegun disclosed that already serious work was underway to consolidate on the successes of the Primary Election.
“Every effort is now being made to bring all the contestants and stakeholders together to ensure that the victory that you  (committee) have started is carried through right to the July 14 Ekiti Governorship Election.
“All the aspirants have attested to the transparency of the exercise, contrary to some of the earlier espoused views. That gives room for unity of purpose between them. It is for us a very important election, not just from the view of the people of Ekiti, but from the type of very abusive leadership, totally lacking of decorum and respect that has been inflicted on the people of Ekiti over the last four years.
“It is an election we are going to take very seriously. Fortunately the candidate made an exemplary speech when his victory was declared and ofcourse as a result of that all the aspirants have warmed up to him. So the stage has been set for an exciting campaign process and for a victory which by God’s grace and the will of the people of Ekiti will become inevitable in July.
Speaking earlier, the Chairman of the Primary Election Committee and Governor of Nasarawa State, H.E. Umaru Tanko Al-Makura said his committee was delighted over the successful completion of the Primary Election and Monday’s submission of the committee’s report after a previously botched exercise.
“It must be emphasised that the derailment of the first exercise was not as a result of poor preparations or lack of capacity to conduct such elections. Everything was perfect, accreditation, voting was well underway until some overzealous and hyper active agents disrupted the election” he said.
Governor Al-Makura said there were lessons learnt from the prior mired primary election particularly in relation to security, venue, delegates and aspirants, saying “The committee made sure that lapses that were observed during the last exercise were corrected”.
He hailed the cooperation from the aspirants and peaceful conduct of the delegates which he said made last Saturday’s exercise rancour-free.
“We were so impressed and excited immediately after declaring the results to find most of the aspirants in the gallery coming around and congratulating Dr. Fayemi and showing him solidarity. I believe the Party should use that platform to ensure cohesion and affinity among aspirants. I believe if the Party encourages these aspirants, they will deploy their efforts in ensuring that we win July 14 Ekiti Governorship Election.” he said.
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Politics

2019 Election: PDP Panicking Over Imminent Defeat In Akwa-Ibom

Published

on

In the face of imminent defeat in the forthcoming 2019 governorship and legislative election in Akwa Ibom State, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has resorted to falsehood and propaganda against All Progressives Congress (APC) leaders in the state in its desperation to remain in the reckoning of the Akwa Ibom electorate.

In statement signed by the Ag. National Publicity Secretary Mr. Yekini Nabena said the APC view PDP’s wild and unsubstantiated allegations against former governor of Akwa-Ibom State, Sen. Godswill Akpabio,Atuekong Don Etiebet and the 2019 APC governorship candidate, Obong Nsima Ekere as one of the falsehoods and propaganda by the PDP.

The PDP alleges that the APC chieftains are planning to foment violence in the state in order to ensure the postponement of the forthcoming elections. The allegation itself is a classic case of the aggressor playing the victim to cover up his misdeeds.

Since the issue is security,Mr Nabena said “we may as well expose the PDP and their leaders in Akwa Ibom state for who they are: purveyors of violence. We are aware of several petitions in the office of the Inspector General of Police against the PDP National Legal Adviser, Barr. Emmanuel Enoidem, a former commissioner in Governor Udom Emmanuel’s administration.

In the petitions, the PDP National Legal Adviser is alleged to have sponsored cultists and militant gangs that have gone out of control in Etim Ekpo, his home local government area and neighbouring Ukanafun. The activities of these cultists have resulted in several deaths in the last three years and displaced many families who now live as displaced persons in Iwukem.

The Governor Udom Emmanuel-led administration has ensured the cover up of the security crisis despite the increasing number of deaths and displacements. This is no longer acceptable. The PDP administration in the state must accept its failure to provide security in the state.

According Mr Nabena , it is silly that the PDP ascribes the current spate of violence to APC when its (APC) members are at the receiving end. It is on record that a day after Senator Akpabio joined the APC, his home was attacked by gun-wielding who shot into his compound. The numerous cases of politically-motivated attacks against APC supporters, members and leaders in the state are in the public domain and has been well-reported.

According to Mr Nabena the Akwa Ibom electorate cannot wait for the 2109 General Elections to vote out the incompetent PDP government. The tide has turned in Akwa Ibom State. As at today, APC, a party that did not win any councillorship seat in 2015 now has in its fold:

The spokesperson of the ruling party cited some important decamped members viz below;
Two out of three serving senators
Many serving members of the House of Representatives
Many serving members of the state House of Assembly
A majority of political leaders in the state, including Sen. Akpabio; immediate- past deputy governor, Noble Lady Valerie Ebe; former petroleum minister, Atuekong Don Etiebet; former secretaries to state government, Obong Umanah Umanah and Etekamba Umoren; many commissioners and aides have joined the APC family.
371,000 registered members and counting.
It is laughable that the PDP continues to delude itself that Akwa Ibom state is a “core PDP state” and by implication canvassing for the coronation of the incumbent governor. The Akwa-Ibom electorate and indeed the political structure have rejected PDP and no amount of falsehood and propaganda can reverse their lost appeal in the state.

“No attempt by the current PDP administration in state to cause crisis and disrupt the 2019 election will be tolerated. The PDP has already lost the forthcoming election as a result of the pedestrian performance of the Udom Emmanuel administration. The party should face its fate rather than engage in scare mongering” Nabena said.

Continue Reading

Politics

FG Assures Of Concerted Efforts To Free Leah Sharibu, Aid Workers

Published

on

The Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, has assured the families of kidnapped Dapchi schoolgirl Leah Sharibu and two abducted aid workers that the Federal Government will leave no stone unturned to secure their release.

The Minister gave the assurance during the weekend, when he led a three-member Federal Government delegation to Maiduguri in Borno State and Dapchi in Yobe State.

In Dapchi, the delegation, also included Hajiya Aisha Abubakar, the Minister of State for Industry, Trade and Investment, who also oversees Women Affairs, and the Minister of State for Foreign Affairs, Hajiya Khadija Abba Bukar Ibrahim, met with Mrs Rebecca Sharibu, Mother of Leah, as well as other members of their family at an emotion weighed down ceremony.

Alhaji Mohammed said President Muhammadu Buhari sent the delegation as a follow up to his phone call to Leah’s mother a few days ago, adding that the government will not rest until Leah has been reunited with her family.

Also visibly excited students of the Government Girls Science and Technical College, Dapchi, from where Leah and about 109 of her colleagues were abducted on 19 Feb. 2018, trooped out to welcome the delegation when the chopper that ferried them to Dapchi landed in the school premises.

Earlier, the delegation also met with the families of the three aid workers who were abducted in March 2018.

At the meeting, which was held in the Borno State Government House, the minister reassured them of the government’s efforts to secure the release of the two that remained in captivity, Alice Loksha and Amina Liman.

He also condoled with the parents of the third aid worker, Saifura Hussaini Ahmed, who was killed by her abductors last month.

The Minister said this is a trying time for the government and people of Borno State, but praised the government’s resilience in tackling the challenges arising from the Boko Haram insurgency.

The Deputy Governor of Borno, Alhaji Usman Durkwa, who received the delegation, expressed gratitude to President Buhari for sending the delegation to the state, noting that this was an evident to show that the President is a true leader.

Continue Reading

Politics

Executive Order 06: Obasanjo, IBB, Atiku, Saraki, others real targets, says Frank

Published

on

…Says Buhari may truncate democracy again
…Urges international community to intervene

Former Deputy National Publicity Secretary of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Comrade Timi Frank, has stated that former President Olusegun Obasanjo, former President Ibrahim Babangida, Presidential candidate of the People Democratic Party (PDP), Alhaji Atiku Abubakar and Senate President, Dr. Abubakar Bukola Saraki, are among the major targets of the Executive Order 06 now being implemented by President Muhammadu Buhari ahead of the 2019 general elections.

Other names Frank mentioned include Gen. Abdulsalami Abubakar, General Aliyu Gusau, Ge. TY Danjuma, Pastor David Oyedepo, Rev Fr Mathew Hassan Kuka, Sheik Gumi and so many other traditional rulers, businessmen and women sympathetic to the quest by Atiku Abubakar emerge President in the 2019 elections.

In a statement issued on Sunday in Abuja, Frank while reacting to the implementation of the Executive Order 06 banning about 50 high-profile Nigerians from travelling abroad described it as “a reminiscent of the infamous and draconian Decree No. 4 of 1984 which was cruelly pursued and enforced by the incumbent President who was then the Military Head of State.”

Frank said it is obvious that the main purpose of the said EO6 is to weaken the leaders of opposition political parties ahead of the 2019 general elections.

According to him, the ealier list released to the media was a distraction from the real targets which he assured will soon be made public.

He, however warned that unless the international community and well meaning Nigerians speak up now against acts of dictatorship of the Buhari administration, democracy in Nigeria may soon end.

According to Frank, the ruling APC has been rattled with the rising popularity of the former Vice President Atiku Abubakar, hence its resort to autocratic tactics to cripple the opposition leaders in the guise of fighting corruption.

While assuring that Nigerians will resist what he called the tyrannical-governance-style of President Buhari, Frank alerted the international community of “plot to truncate democratic system of government in Nigeria by the APC’s administration.”

The former APC spokesman who described the latest order as a “draconian measure to frighten the opposition elements from challenging him in the coming election, stated that if care is not taken the action of the president might engineer the military to takeover power.

“Unknown to gullible ones, President Buhari is playing godfather to corrupt people in his administration. For Nigerians to take this order serious, I hope the ban will include Adams Oshiomhole, Rotimi Amaechi, former SGF Babachir Lawal, Buhari’s Chief of Staff, Abba Kyari, his former Finance Minister Kemi Adeosun, Lai Muhammed, former DSS boss Lawal Daura, GMD of the NNPC, Dr. Maikanti Baru and the Minister of Communications, Adebayo Shittu – for skipping the mandatory NYSC service – among others.

“I also hope President Buhari will explain to Nigerians how his wife got N2.6billion that was stolen by her ADC.”

Continue Reading

Trending