Connect with us

Politics

Saraki ‘s Trial: Buhari React to Court Judgement on the senate President

Published

on

 

 

Aftermath  of the supreme court judgement over Saraki’s trial , president Muhammadu Buhari has reacted to Friday’s Supreme Court ruling clearing the senate president, Bukola Saraki, of graft charges.

The president said the country’s judicial system, no matter the challenges it faces, is truly working and no one should be allowed to undermine or break it.

“I have seen many instances where individuals and groups seek the destruction of the judicial institution in the foolish thinking of saving their skin, instead of going through the painstaking process of establishing their innocence,” he said in a statement signed by his spokesperson, Garba Shehu.

“In the case of the Senate President, Bukola Saraki, I have seen him take the tortuous path of using the judicial process. He persevered, and in the end, the highest court of the land, the Supreme Court, says he is not guilty as charged.

“This is what I have done in the three elections in which I was cheated out, before God made it possible for me to come here the fourth time I ran for the office.”

Mr Buhari said Mr Saraki’s journey from the lowest to the highest court of the land provides an important example that all Nigerians should emulate.

In its judgememt, the Supreme Court affirmed the June 2017 decision of the Code of Conduct Tribunal which ruled that the prosecution failed to prove the case against Mr Saraki.

The senate president was brought on an initial 16-count charge of false asset declaration by the Code of Conduct Tribunal in September 2016 by the Code of Conduct Bureau.

He was accused of making anticipatory declaration of assets as well as withholding information regarding his assets while he was governor of Kwara State between 2003 and 2011 and when he became a senator in 2011.

The charges were subsequently amended to 18-counts.

Mr Saraki, who challenged all charges against him at different levels, made a no-case submission at the CCT after the prosecution closed its case against him.

Following the application of a no-case submission, the tribunal chairman, Danladi Umar, ruled that the evidences tendered by the prosecution were insufficient to substantiate its charges against the defendant.

Politics

Exit Rumour: APC Refutes Ortom’s Exit Rumour

Published

on

 

By Abdullahi Mohammed

 

In a reaction to the report about an exit of one of its state executives, the All Progressive Congress (APC) has denied the exit of Benue state  Governor, Samuel Ortom, saying that it was  a mere  rumour.

Meanwhile , earlier on Monday, Mr Ortom  announced his exit from the APC. The governor said he was chased out hence his decision to leave.

He also hinted of decamping to any party that woos him.

Reacting, the APC who did not believe reports of the governor’s action said Ortom, known for his integrity, could not have dumped the party without first notifying it.

The National Chairman of the party, Adams Oshiomhole, stated this while addressing newsmen shortly after the meeting of the party’s National Working Committee (NWC),

“The party will not comment on the basis of rumour,” Oshiomhole said.

“I am sure that eventually we will find out the facts of the matter and we will now act.

“Governor Ortom is a respected, prominent member of the APC and he has said repeatedly to me that he will not leave the APC unless he was pushed out,” he added.

Governor Ortom, on Monday, while swearing in a newly appointed Special Adviser on Local Government and Cheftaincy Affairs, Jerome Torshimbe, at the banquet hall of the Government House in Makurdi, the state capital, noted that the APC gave him a red card.

“As for party, I’ve been given the red card and I’m now outside the pitch. So, if I have been given the red card and I’m standing outside, that means I’m a free man,” said Ortom.

“I don’t know what will happen next but I’m waiting. If others approach me, then I will tell the Benue people that I’m joining another football club,” he said.

Continue Reading

Politics

Fayose Attacks Shehu, Reacts to Ekiti Election, Fayemi’s Victory

Published

on

By Abdullahi Mohammed

 

 

In what was termed as undemocratic process, the outgoing Governor, Ayodele Fayose attacked  presidential spokesman, Garba Shehu as he  finally reacted to the victory of Kayode Fayemi.

It may interest Nigerians that the governor-elect who contested on the platform of the All Progressive Congress (APC) defeated Kolapo Olusola, Fayose’s deputy and the candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party, (PDP).

Fayose who reacted on Monday said President Muhammadu Buhari demonstrated truly that “he is not a democrat, but a dictator and fascist per excellence.”

“It is only Buhari that will pride himself with the security shooting sporadically at polling centres , scaring people to pave the way for the APC thugs to snatch ballot boxes,” he said in a tweet via his twitter account.

He also lambasted presidential spokesman, Garba Shehu, describing him as a fair weather fellow. The latter had mocked the governor in an article he published after Fayemi was declared winner of the election.

Shehu had described Fayose as a deceiver.

“The President should bury his head in shame for using the police, army, Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps and INEC to snatch the mandate given to Olusola and deliver it to Fayemi “whom Ekiti people rejected.

“What Buhari won as referendum from Ekiti people , Nigerians, and international community is shame, big shame.

“If APC truly won, why was it that there was no jubilation in Ekiti ? That victory of Kayode Fayemi is pyrrhic, we will reclaim the stolen mandate in the court by the power of God.

“As for me, I am Peter Ayodele Fayose , I hold with my head high. I can never be suppressed. I don’t lose battles and I will not lose this. By the power of God, I will laugh last.

“The President should note what the Bible says which applies to him: “He that wears the armour should not boast as he that removes it.

“May God rescue our country,” he added.

On Shehu, Fayose said: “that fellow is not to be accorded any attention. Being a fair weather friend, he would soon desert his current pay masters.

“Garba Shehu was in the Presidency courtesy Atiku Abubakar for eight years and came back for this current dispensation still courtesy Abubakar. Now, he has abandoned the person who brought him to the limelight.”

Continue Reading

Politics

Fayemi Explains Why He was Re-elected as Ekiti Governor

Published

on

By Abdullahi Mohammed

In a confident mood, the Governor-elect of Ekiti State, Kayode Fayemi, has explained  why the people of the state got him re-elected.

Mr Fayemi who had governed the state earlier was sent packing from the government house in 2014 when the incumbent and outgoing governor, Ayodele Fayose, won his own re-election.

It is not new  that, Mr Fayose who did his first term earlier before Fayemi was oust through Impeachment on allegation of embezzlement.

However, the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) are set to resume investigation into the suspended allegation.

While Fayose is of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), the former governor belongs to the All Progressive Congress (APC). Both men are not in good terms politically.

Kolapo Olusola, Fayose’s deputy and candidate of the PDP in the governorship election which held on Saturday was Fayemi’s major challenger.

Fayemi who took ministerial post after his first tenure emerged victorious in the election on the platform of the APC.

Featuring on Channels Television’s News At 10, the former minister said his return to the seat of power as Ekiti State governor is to continue developmental projects in the state from where he stopped and for this he was re-elected.

“This victory means, at the Ekiti State level, a determination by our people to really have governance on a serious level back in Ekiti State. That’s why the people have shown fate, by returning us to power,” Fayemi said.

“On a national level, this victory means that the propaganda out there about our party (APC) being a party of trialists and people who are just interested in a section of the country is not selling to ordinary Nigerian,” he said.

The former minister who said “there is unfinished business” in the Ekiti government house, added that: “I already explained that there is unfinished business. The clock of progress and development in Ekiti stopped in October 2014. (My) coming back is to restart the clock and get it back to the developmental trajectory. What we have witnessed in Ekiti in the last four years is arrested development.

“When I say reclaiming the land, it is not just about the physical reclamation of any land, it is about the reclamation and restoration of the values of our people.

“It is a return to decency, decorum and dignity. A return to a sense of self-worth and self-respect. A return to respect for our elders and traditional institution. It is a return to seriousness in government,” he said.

Responding to questions on his position to the PDP disagreement to the election outcome and threat to challenge his victory in court, Fayemi said he is not afraid of tribunals.

Continue Reading

Trending