Connect with us

News

How Security Operatives Stopped Saraki’s Plan to Foment Violence over Impeachment

Published

on

By Abdullahi Mohammed

Following Tuesday’s incident at the National Assembly, our investigations have now uncovered the sinister plot hatched by the Senate President, Dr. Bukola Saraki to foment violence in the legislative chamber all in a bid to stop his impeachment.In a statement by the Ag. National Publicity Secretary Mr. Yekini Nabena in Abuja on Wednesday stated the ploy by the senate president to cause chaos .

The Statement read further thus:

Our investigations uncovered and noted the following:

We are now aware that the timely intervention of the security operatives forestalled the planned violence which could have led to possible deaths, injuries and destruction of property in the National Assembly on Tuesday.
Why did the Senate President mobilise thugs to the National Assembly who almost lynched Hon. E.J. Agbonayinma, the only APC federal lawmaker present but for the timely intervention of security operatives.
Why did the Senate President reconvene the National Assembly? Ostensibly as a pre-emptive move to frustrate federal lawmakers move to impeach him.
Is it not curious that only Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) federal lawmakers were present in their numbers-some as early as 7am, while the majority APC federal lawmakers were elsewhere holding a caucus meeting on the state of the nation.

We call on security agencies and relevant bodies to as a matter of urgency probe these findings and take all necessary and legitimate action to stop these illegalities which pose a direct and ominous threat to our democracy.

As espoused in our earlier statement, whilst our contention with the leadership of the National Assembly as currently constituted is a matter of public record, we still believe that the legislature as an independent arm of government must be allowed free reign for vibrant contestation of ideas and values amongst its members within the context of their constitutional mandate and for the benefit of the Nigerian people.

Finally, we reiterate our call for the Senate President to resign from the position immediately as he no longer has the moral and legitimate ground to occupy that position as a member of the minority PDP. Going by the popular axiom, ‘the majority will have their way, but the minority will have their say’.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Watch out Trump, China is taking Africa from under your nose

Published

on

By David A. Andelman

Look out Donald Trump, while you’re not watching, China is quietly stealing a continent from you. And India may not be far behind.

Currently, the battle for supremacy on the African continent is being fought out between the leaders of Asia’s two superpowers — China and India — and, for the most part, the United States is nowhere to be seen.

Chinese President Xi Jinping and Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi all but tripped over each other last month crisscrossing the continent on personal goodwill visits.

Meanwhile, the President of the African Development Bank had to come hat in hand to Washington, where, a source with knowledge of the situation told me, all he got to see were some officials in the Treasury Department.

President Trump has still not visited the continent and has not announced plans to do so.

Why should we care? China and India care deeply. After all, Africa is home to Nigeria — poised to become the world’s third most populous country and all the challenges that poses in terms of more jobs for an increasingly youthful population, not to mention food and infrastructure.

But it’s also where critical, strategically essential minerals including lanthanum, cerium and neodymium, essential for the electric cars of the future, are located.

And as Akinwumi Adesina, the President of the African Development Bank, told me this week, “there are 400 million hectares of arable land in the savannas of Africa” that will “determine the future of food in the world.”

Continue Reading

News

Arrest Warrant: Apeal Court Orders Stay of Excution on INEC Chair

Published

on

By Abdullahi Mohammed

In relating to the arrest warrant ordered by the high court weeks ago, the Court of Appeal sitting in Abuja has ordered a stay of execution of the arrest warrant issued against the Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Mahmood Yakubu.

Justice Abdul Aboki who gave the stay of execution order on Monday also adjourned the hearing of the suit filed by the INEC Chairman to September 17, 2018.

Justice Stephen Pam of a Federal High Court in Abuja had issued the arrest warrant on August 8 after the INEC chairman failed to appear before him on three occasions.

The judge had on July 5 ordered Yakubu to appear before him to show cause why he should not be sent to prison for contempt of court.

He made the order for Mahmood to appear before him while ruling on a preliminary objection by INEC and its Chairman in a contempt proceeding filed by Ejike Oguebego and Chuks Okoye, Chairman and Legal Adviser of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Anambra State, respectively.

Five days later, on July 10 when the court sat again, the INEC boss was absent in court. His counsel, Mr Adeboyega Awomolo, informed the court that his client had filed an appeal challenging that order at the appeal court and another appeal before the Federal High Court asking for a stay of proceedings pending the determination of the appeal.

During the continuation of the trial on Wednesday, August 8, Justice Pam demanded to know from the counsel to the INEC Chairman, Adegboyega Awomolo, why he was not in court.

Replying, Awomolo said he does not know where the INEC chairman is and that it is beyond his brief to produce his client. He added that if the court wants the INEC chairman to appear in court, the IGP should produce him.

Justice Pam, therefore, ordered the Inspector General of Police (IGP), Ibrahim Idris, to arrest and bring Yakubu to court.

Continue Reading

News

Ortom Threatens Oshiomhole With Legal Action Over Allegation Claims

Published

on

By Abdullahi Mohammed

In a reaction to false allegation, the governor of Benue state Ortom has asked Adams Oshiomhole, national chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC) to retract allegations made against him or face legal action. Mr Ortom in a letter to Oshiomhole said the APC national chairman damaged his reputation at a press conference in Abuja on July 27, 2018.

Mr Ortom also asked for a public apology in the media within 7 days and N10bn as damages.

During the press conference, Oshiomhole had accused the governor of deepening the circle of poverty in his state.

The APC chairman alleged that Ortom mismanaged bailout funds and Paris Club refund and also refused to pay salaries.

According to the letter written by Samuel Irabor, the governor’s counsel, he said the allegations made by the APC chairman against his client were very astonishing, unsubstantiated, wild.

The letter read in part, “A letter of retraction/apology addressed to our client in respect of the false, defamatory and libellous statement made against him in the sponsored press conference herein complained of.

“That the said retraction/apology be simultaneously published in the Sunday edition of 10 National Dailies circulating within Benue State as well as a paid advertorial to the same effect on the prime time beats of the Nigerian Television Authority (NTA), Channels TV, TVC News, African Independent Television (AIT), Independent Television (ITV) Benin, Radio Nigeria, Radio Benue and Harvest FM, Makurdi.

“An undertaking not to indulge in any such false publication against our client in future. Payment of #10,000,000,000.00 (Ten Billion Naira) only to our client as punitive, general, exemplary and aggravated damages.”

Continue Reading

Facebook: Fan Page

Recent Posts

Categories

Trending